Wednesday, March 16, 2011

It's Been Awhile...

I never thought I would be away from this blog for so long, but three days after my last post I was scheduled for a regular screening colonoscopy. The news was not good. What followed was 3 and a half weeks that are almost a blur.

I had a 5-6 cm. mass in my rectum. The pathology came back as In Situ cancer which was good, but we had to meet with a colo-rectal surgeon, have and Endoscopic Ultrasound, and a PET Scan.

On Monday, the colo-rectal surgeon told us that the mass was movable and surgery was scheduled for Wednesday. The Ultrasound was Monday afternoon. The results of the Ultrasound showed a T3 tumor which was not good. Surgery was delayed a week and we were looking at the PET scan, which came back with no metastasizing, a quick surgery for biopsy, chemo/radiation for 6 weeks and then massive surgery including a colostomy.

A week ago I had the quick surgery. When the surgeon got in there, he found that there was not a T3 tumor, but localized cancer. He ended up excising the tumor completely. Pathology came back with In Situ cancer and heavy dysplasia. What that means is that I had Stage 0 rectal cancer. While that isn't great, it's the best news I've heard in a long time!

No further treatment is necessary. I will have another PET scan in 3 months and then get the privilege of colonoscopies every year... I'm so happy to have the privilege of a colonoscopy.

I have been blessed by a miracle from God. The end result of this experience is only because of all the people who prayed for me and I am humbled at the outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment